Tuesday 11 November 2008

Charged to be an Excellent Teacher

Samuel Hall - English Department

I just had a meeting with the head of our department. He asked me last week to come see him so that he can check on how I’m adjusting to my new job.

It was a positive meeting – I think. Since there is always a big possibility of miscommunication between high context and low context cultures, it is possible that he communicated things which I did not pick up. High context cultures (like the Korean culture) are not always verbally straight forward. They will talk around an issue, give you hints towards the actual message; you are supposed to pick up these hints and encode the true message, using different clues provided by the context. The context is highly charged with meaning. Low context cultures, typical Western cultures, do not rely so much on the context to convey the message. Instead people speak their mind. The message is much more verbal and direct.

In any case, the professor told me that I will be teaching more specific classes next semester. This semester I taught very general language skills classes, but next semester I am likely to teach some literature (novel and poetry) classes.

He also told me that he expects us teachers to be more “submerged in the department”. (Should I read it as: “you are not working hard enough”?) He continued to explain that students pay W 3, 500 000, that is about $3500, per semester; that is a lot of money, therefore every minute of teaching is valuable. (Should I read it as: “don’t let classes out early”?)

Furthermore, I was warned that as I am a young bachelor I should keep the professional line very clear. I am not to invite female students over to my apartment. I believe in keeping a professional relationship with students, so I didn’t intend to invite students over to my place in any case. He continued to explain that in Korean tradition, the king, parents and teachers are at the same level. As university teachers are the highest level teachers, a high level of professionalism (and in turn evoked respect) is important. (Should I understand this as: “be more professional and more strict”; “don’t be buddy-buddy with students”?)

He continued that since we are working at a Christian university our work is not merely jobs, but vocational. As teachers we shouldn’t just care for the educational growth of our students, but also for their emotional and spiritual well-being. And this requires a high standard of commitment.
And then he finished off by warning me that at the end of the semester students always give feedback – mostly anonymous feedback – regarding the lecturers’ performance. Often, he said, such feedback is negative. I told him that I welcome the feedback as it will allow me to improve.
Lastly he concluded that I have had prior experience with Korea, and the Korean culture, and that I should keep such differences in mind when working with the students.

The meeting was fruitful. It felt like he set before me a commission – a charge to be an excellent teacher. I find it highly motivating and especially look forward to the classes next semester.

3 comments:

Einstein's Brain said...

You are lucky that he would have a talk with you. I wished that the directors did that with me when I was with SDA. It's true that the Koreans don't say enough. For me, I had to find out the hard way when something was wrong.
My advice is not to let class out early. It's good that they want you to teach different things next semester, that does show that they are trusting you will do good with that.

Skryfblok said...

Are you going to work for SDA again?

You're right - about not ending classes early. It is just that sometimes we actually get through everything we need to cover for the day before the end of class. And I'm not one for "filling" time with games.

Einstein's Brain said...

I'm not going to work for SDA. I will be near Sangbong station, at a place called "Uncle Sam's English".
I had the same dilemma when I started working for SDA. I sometimes didn't know what to do with the last 1-2 minutes at the end of junior classes. I was told I had to do something. Games are better for children than for adults. Filling time with games for older people just doesn't work the same way.
I did have trouble getting used to the job at SDA at first, but then I did a lot better. I do wish I was told up front what they didn't like about my performance. I later had lower refunds after asking lots of teachers for advice. There are some things I'll miss about SDA and some things I won't. There are no regrets for working there. I have positive thoughts about going to this new place.