Wednesday 12 November 2008

Speaking to X

Friday evening I spoke to my X on the phone. It happened quite by accident. I’m very good friends with her grandparents – I’ve kind of adopted them as my own (grand)parents as I don’t have my own any more and they graciously accepted the roles. So I phoned them, but to my surprise they were not home and I found myself speaking to X. My heart jumped at hearing her voice and we were both giggly and had lots to talk about. Among other things, she said that she and her new boyfriend (the one after me) broke up.

For a moment I was entertaining the idea of us getting together again. But such musings are, for now, mere whimsical fancies of a forgetful mind. There are reasons X and I broke up. In the first place, me living on the other side of the world is not conducive to a relationship. And secondly, there were other things as well that stood in the way; we both have “issues” – we are artists after all. Admittedly I do miss her and can become quite poetic about it.

Finding a partner is a difficult matter. I’m frequently faced with a dilemma. The people I’m mentally attracted to, I often do not find physically attractive and those I find physically attractive a lot of the time do not excite me mentally.

No comments: