Sunday 28 February 2010

Moview Review: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

Last night I went to see Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, based on the fantasy adventure series “Percy Jackson & the Olympians” by Rick Riordan.

I think I expected too much. I hoped for something of the same quality as the Harry Potter series. This first movie, based on the first story in the Percy Jackson book-series, was not nearly as engaging as the first Harry Potter movie. Neither was the acting very convincing. While watching the film I did, however, come to the conclusion that if I was a ten year old such factors as “acting” would not have matter much to me and that I would probably have enjoyed the movie with its mythological creatures and nice special effects immensely. It’s a pity I’m not ten any more.

The director is Chris Columbus. He also directed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001) and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002), as well as other the classic kid’s movie Home Alone (1990). Columbus was also the writer of Gremlins (1984) and The Goonies (1985)!

No comments: