Monday 1 February 2010

Consider This: Christianity vs Secularism.

My brother Nethan produced a youth talk show called "Consider This" -- it's now in post-editing. Most of the recording happened over two days, last Thursday and Friday. It is a Christian themed show that discusses various topics which may be of concern to Christian youth. The first program was on "Secularism vs. Christianity." Since my master's degree research is in Postmodern Identity and seeing as I teach secular texts (i.e. literature), my brother asked me to be a guest speaker for this episode.


The series is recorded for Hope TV and will probably air around April this year. Every so often I watch Hope TV, especially over weekends, so I have a relatively good idea about the type of content featured on this channel. Hope TV is a global Christian channel, focussed on traditional Christian values and world wide evangelism. Because of its focus on traditional values I didn't want to be a guest on the program because I think I'm a little too liberal. While many people would consider my Christian views to be quite conservative, I'm one of those odd fellows whom are difficult to be put in a box, especially as far as religious views go.

They couldn't get anybody else to fill the slot so I conceded. I basically said that it is possible for a Christian to identify "good" in secular media and that it is possible to enjoy things from the secular world, without becoming part of the secular world. I used the movie Batman: Dark Knight as an example, which I believe hints at the Gospel, especially towards the end where Batman decides to become the Dark Knight and accept the responsibility of wrongs done by Harvey Dent who used to be Gotham City's White Knight. In so doing, Batman becomes the scapegoat, symbolically taking on Dent's sins, so that Dent can be presented blameless.

I also suggested four points on how a Christian can live in a secular world.

1. Know what you believe and why you believe it. If you are secure in what you believe, and why you believe it, you will not be swayed by every alternative theory spewed out by the secular media.

2. Be active, rather than passive, participants. Whenever listening to a political speech, reading a book, watching a movie, participating in a cultural event, do not merely accept everything held up. Question it. Ask yourself what are the messages, values, controlling ideas, promoted. And do you agree or disagree? What's your interpretation?

3. Eat the meat, but spit out the bones. Take what is spiritually valuable, but discard the rest. We live in an imperfect world where even the good things are blighted with the bad. It is therefore imperative that we learn how to take out the good, and get rid of the bad. We need to become connoisseurs of the good.

4. See the world through Christian (i.e. Christ-like) eyes. Focus on the good things. Be careful to judge. Give the benefit of the doubt. Be more gracious, merciful, forgiving, loving. However, do not be easily fooled. Be "innocent as doves, but wise as serpents."

I think I concluded with the idea that we can be "in the world," without becoming "of the world."

I only hope that my views are sound... The spiritual journey is precarious one.

1 comment:

Lindi said...

...eish....kaapstad....I hope to see the program.......