Wednesday 10 February 2010

A Little Cuba in the Cape and other Excursions

Two Saturday evenings ago I went with my brother Nethan and some of his friends to a Cuban restaurant just outside of Somerset-West. The vibe was quite jovial, with Cuban music setting an upbeat pace.

This was my first exposure to Cuban food so I wasn’t too sure what to expect. It turns out that Cuban food does not differ dramatically from Mexican food. I had a burrito stuffed with fresh vegetables and flavoursome cheese.

Great food, great music, and enjoyable company!

Earlier that day I met up with other “church family” (the Smits), whom I knew from my days in Potchefstroom. They invited my brother and I for lunch. The food – all vegetarian – was delectable and made me feel very much at home. When I’m on my own I live mostly vegetarian. Having had the opportunity to eat vegetarian amongst other vegetarians without it being an “issue” was a treat.

No comments: