Sunday 3 January 2010

Hong Kong: The Second Day

Did I mention the Cantonese Opera Appreciation Class I attended yesterday? I think I forgot. It was quite interesting. The tour guide explained the different character-rolls in Cantonese Opera and how to distinguish them according to their wardrobe. He also explained the four skills an Cantonese Opera performer has to study: talking, singing, acting, and martial arts. I've noticed some interesting parallels between the clothing used in Cantonese Opera and some of the traditional Korean dances. There were also similarities in some of the movements. I'll have to follow this up when I have time.



I slept in this morning and left my room around noon. After walking for ages down Nathan Street, I was starving. I decided to go to Kraze Burger. There are Kraze Burger restaurants in Korea; I'm not sure which country first spawned this franchise, but as far as I can figure out it seems to be an Asian franchise. The food is of really high quality and only organic ingredients are used. While eating my fries a Korean song was playing. Fancy that, sitting in Hong Kong, listening to a Korean pop hit: "Nobody But You" by the Wonder Girls.



After lunch I rushed to Kowloon Park to see the Kung Fu Demonstration, hosted by local Kung Fu schools every Sunday. It was quite interesting and I took lots of photos. I especially enjoyed the Tai Chi performances. Although I train in a hard style martial art*, I have a strong love of soft style martial arts. (ITF Taekwon-Do is considered to be a hard style martial art; however, anyone that truly understands this martial art will know that this is a fallacy. ITF Taekwon-Do, if correctly understood, is both a hard style and a soft style martial art. I've written about this elsewhere.) Towards the end of the two hour demonstration members of the public were invited to join in the training of one of the Kung Fu styles. I joined in. Unfortunately I cannot remember the exact name of the style.



Following my Kung Fu adventure I went to the pier to get my first glimpse of the Hong Kong skyline -- or at least one of the many skylines (as Hong Kong is a series of islands). Near the Art Centre a fledgling band performed. It was towards the end of their performance, so I only heard their last song, which is sad as I really enjoyed their Jazz-Rock sound. I went up to some of the band members to inquire about a CD, but they do not have one yet. Neither do they have a website. The do, however, have a Facebook group: Blaster.

Next I went to lobby of the Inter Continental Hotel where I had Hot Chocolate while waiting for the Symphony of Lights to start. Close to the starting time, I ventured out again, and got a seat at the pier. The Symphony of Lights is a light show involving a number of buildings in Hong Kong.

Lastly, I walked back towards Tsimshatsuito have dinner. I had "Traditional Rice with Pigeon in Pot." I thought I'd give pigeon a try. The last time I had pigeon was as a youngster. Having grown up on a farm, I'd occasionally hunt pigeons with a pellet gun and then back it in the over, or roast it over a fire. Eating pigeon tonight brought back some interesting memories.



Now I'm going back to my room to rest. I'm quite tired after all the walking today. I'm thinking of visiting the giant Buddha statue I've read about in all the brochures and also recommended by some friends.

4 comments:

Lindi said...

caths....wow...great sounds exciting...my favourate iyoyo...nobody but you...iyoyo...

Lindi said...

...Nathan street.....kid brother..:-)

Einstein's Brain said...

I am glad you are having a good time in HK. You have seen some interesting things. That's what a good trip is about: seeing some interesting sights and learning stuff as well.
I think you are lucky to have grown up on a farm. I spent a good part of my childhood in a 3-story and six-family apartment building. I thought the best thing about moving to a house was the fact I could finally have a garden.

Ricky Wilmes said...

deffinatly unique