Sunday 3 January 2010

Hong Kong: The Rest of the First Day

Yesterday, after my Indian food lunch and visit at the Internet Cafe, I ventured back to my lodgings. After sleeping in an office the previous evening, I was keen to see where the rest of my Hong Kong nights will be. By the time I got to the hostel (around 1 pm) the manager gave me an address and directed me to the other hostel where I will stay for the remainder of my stay. Since they thought I didn't arrive the previous night (I came late), the rented out the room in the hostel I booked, and now got me alternative lodging in another hostel -- still in the same building though, Chunking Mansions. It is mentioned by TIME as the best example of Globalization in Action ("Best in Asia").

The room is small, with an en suite toilet / shower room. It is not the prettiest place I've ever slept in, but at least the private. I've killed two cockroaches so far.


The roof fan in my tiny room


After a quick nap I headed out for dinner. I first went to iCity (I think that is the name of the building -- not sure), which has an iMax theatre, in hope of booking a ticket for  Avatar in 3D. Unfortunately all tickets were sold out until the end of the week when I'll be gone already. Starving by now, I found a restaurant in the building and had spaghetti with tuna and pesto. After dinner I began exploring my surrounding area in Tsimshatsui and stumbled upon a "healthy desert" restaurant. Wow, was this one of the greatest mouth explosions I've ever had. Coconut noodles nestled in mango smoothie topped with mango ice cream and extra mango chunks.


I'm not sure exactly where this little paradise-desert shop is as I was just exploring different back streets, but I sure hope I can find it (or another one -- it seems to be a franchise) again before I leave.

1 comment:

Lindi said...

.....privacy is the best in a foreign place....lovies