Monday 30 November 2009

Possible Classes Next Semester



I received the list of subjects that I am likely teach next semester; they are:
  • Intermediate English Listening and Speaking
  • Essay Writing
  • Research Methodology
  • 19th Century British Poetry (Romantics)
  • British and American Essays
  • Literature and Visual Arts
They are all three credit classes (i.e. three hours per week), with the exception of Research Methodology which is a one credit class (i.e. one hour per week); in all, sixteen teaching hours per week. This will be the most hours I taught so far since I started my job here. This semester I taught fifteen hours, and last semester I taught thirteen. Contractually I need only teach twelve hours per week, but the contract does state that the department can ask me to teach more, for which I would, of course, be paid overtime. While sixteen hours a week may be a little tough, the overtime pay is, naturally, not to be smirked at. I got between $300 and $400 per month extra this semester because I taught an extra three credits. If the proposed schedule does not change, then I will be teaching four credits over my contractual requirement, which will possible increase my pay with over $400.

A positive thing about the schedule is that I taught five of the six classes last semester, which means that I have much of the material already prepared; therefore, I will not need that much preparation time. I can now focus more on fine tuning the class, rather than developing syllabi and teaching material. I'm also looking forward to teaching Romantic Poetry again, as well as British and American Essays.

The only new class on the list is Literature and Visual Arts. I haven’t had time to speak with the department head, so I have no idea what the class is about, but it sounds tremendously interesting. However, I really hope that it will not take too much preparation time. I’m optimistic to spend some time on my own academic pursuits next year; particularly, I hope to write some articles and work on my PhD.

On another note, my department head told me that I do not have to worry about the renewal of my contract. In other words, they are likely to renew my contract after it expires at the end of next semester (July 2010). This means that if I wish to continue working here after my current contract expires, I can. In a world suffering from economic concerns and job shortages, I guess that is good news.

In the meantime there are only two weeks of classes remaining before the final exam. And after the final exam, another two weeks for me of administrative work (e.g. grading papers). Five weeks in all before my long holiday commences and I can go visit my loved ones in South Africa again. I can hardly wait!

2 comments:

Lindi said...

i like research methodology...I use to have a book somewhere on research methodlogies....I am willing to share it only if I can find it...Lol

Skryfblok said...

We used Lester & Lester's Writing Research Papers: A Complete Guide last semester. I thought the book to be completely inappropriate for the level of my students -- and especially for a sophmore class. The book was prescribed for me, so I had to use it, but it wasn't user friendly at all.

Since this is my second time teaching it, I will have much more freedom in how the syllabus is put together. I'm thinking of changing both the textbook and the teaching approach this coming semester. My students do not need to write full on research papers at that level; they are, however, expected to write short academic essays. Therefore, they really need to learn how to quote, how to cite sources, how to give bibliographic references, and some grammar and punctuation for academic writing.

For this reason, I'm going to focus primarily on the principles and guidelines for quotation and documentation; with lots of practical exercises.