Wednesday 10 February 2010

Cinderella on Ice


For my last evening in the Cape I went with my brother and two of his college buddies to see the ice-skating extravaganza, Cinderella on Ice. This was one of the most visually pleasing performances I’ve seen in a very long time. The décor was superbly used, and incorporated into the performance were a variety of surprising effects, like blasts of fire on stage, lighted décor (the pumpkin carriage lighted with hundreds of LEDs), and even rain. Yes, actually dripping water falling on stage. Although I’ve seen some better displays of lighting techniques in other stage performances, it was still very effectively used as part of the story telling.

The ice-skaters – all Russian – were very skilled, with convincing performances. This is unlike a Russian ballet performances I attended two years back, of which I was terribly disappointed. Cinderella on Ice has rekindled my faith in Russian performances.

If you are in South Africa, the R150 a seat is well worth it.

No comments: