Thursday 4 June 2009

Who is Doing Drugs in Korea?

The image above is apparently of a North Korean drug dealer, from Chosun Ilbo (English Edition).

The prevailing stereotype in the Korean media is that foreigners are all decadent drug-users; that the Westerners in Korea--American G.I. and English teachers with their big noses--prey on the innocent Korean girls, and what not. As I said, it is a stereotype, not everyone believes it and it is certainly not the case for most Westerners I know. For this reason, it is somewhat pleasing to read news of non-Westerners caught doing drugs. I'm not revelling in others' suffering, I'm merely delighted that the stereotypes are begin broken.

Read more at Korea Beat.

In related news, another crackdown on illegal drugs did include foreigners. However, the incident showed the true situation of drug abuse; it is done by people regardless of ethnicity. Read more at The Marmot's Hole.

No comments: