Thursday 4 September 2008

Taekkyeon - another attempt at understanding TKD

In my attempt to better understand my chief martial art, namely ITF Taekwon-Do, I've cross-trained in many other martial arts. My thinking is that if I really want to see Taekwon-Do clearly, I need to look at it from different vantage points.

Seeing, for instance, many circular techniques in Taekwon-Do, I decided to take up Hapkido. And indeed, my training in Hapkido helped me to understand better one of ITF Taekwon-Do's main principles - the sinewave motion.

I've also started wonder about the relaxedness of Taekwon-Do. A strong influence on Taekwon-Do's early development was (Shotokan) Karate, which definitely do not have the "relaxedness" I'm referring to. My conclusion was that I would find this relaxedness in the other main influence in Taekwon-Do's development - Taekkyeon.

So I've recently taken up Taekkyeon. And from the first moment I knew my suspicion was spot on. Taekkyeon is a so called soft-style and therefore very relaxed. Lots of emphasis is placed on breathing techniques, almost like Tai Chi Ch'uan.

My first class was exceptionally interesting. Most of the techniques are done while singing traditional folk songs. (Taekkyeon is closely linked to Korea's traditional folk dances.) Since the instructor is a Christian, we even did one stretching-and-breathing routine to the melody of "What a Friend I have in Jesus"! As I understand so far, Taekkyeon is completely based on relaxed motions.

My instructor is also an Oriental doctor, and does acupressure messaging and acupuncture therapy. He also teach Oriental Medicine at the university where I work.

No comments: