Monday 8 September 2008

The Quickening of Old Friends

Mondays are my worst days. I teach five different modules on a Monday. So Mondays tend to be long and even somewhat stressful.

But today turned out to be a good Monday. I saw my friend Young today. We worked together when I taught at a language institute, during my previous time in Korea. And now Young is a graduate student (theology) at the university where I'm currently working at. So I look forward to seeing him often.

Although I made a number of Korean friends in the past, I got especially close to Young as a friend, most likely because we did not struggle to communicate. Young lived in Australia for a couple of years and is therefore fluent in English. But apart from an ease in communication, we also hit it off quickly, with a similar sense of humour and similar ideas on spirituality.

I skipped Hapkido training tonight and instead went to dinner with Young, his girlfriend and his brother. Even though it was a terribly long day, I feel invigorated. It's amazing how friends can quicken the spirit!

The photo in this post is not a Creative Commons image.

No comments: