Tuesday 23 March 2010

Ron Mueck

I enjoy sculptures. It is most likely the evocative work of Rodin that truly sparked my interest and that class in Three Dimensional Objects I did in the History of Art Department in my honours year at university just added to my interest in three dimensional art. However it is undoubtedly Maureen Quin’s series of sculptures for her “The Hunt” exhibition which convinced me of the power of sculpture to stir up emotions -- and so made me fall in love with this medium.

One of my favourite sculptors is Ron Mueck. He uses a hyper-realistic style, but changes the natural size of his subject, creating giant babies, or tiny old people. This change in size causes the viewer to reinterpret the subject relative to his or her own size; forcing the viewer to look at a “natural” subject, a pregnant women, and old man, a child, with new eyes.

The YouTube-video below depicts a number of Mueck’s work.



You can also see some photos of his work at LIFE.

2 comments:

Lindi said...

...wow....amazing .... funny the baby traped in the old man's face.....

Skryfblok said...

Maybe it's a new born baby.