Wednesday 24 March 2010

Patricia Piccinini

Yesterday I wrote about Ron Mueck. While Mueck’s naturalistic sculptures helps one to see our world with new eyes, there’s another artist that helps us see alternative realities. Patricia Piccinini’s work also has a naturalistic feel to it, but her novel creations makes one want to believe in other possibilities. I’ve always loved fantasy – I guess I never outgrew my love of it, like most people do when they become adults. This is probably the reason I find Piccinini’s work so appealing. It underscores my childlike longing for enchanted alternatives to an otherwise dreary reality.

Below are some photos of Piccinini’s art.







8 comments:

Mary-Jane said...

I like the scooters... very creative :-)

Skryfblok said...

Yeah; I doubt I'll ever look at Vespas in the same way again.

Lindi said...

.....I like the scooters too...amazing....:-)

Einstein's Brain said...

Those are good. They do leave a lot to the imagination. If you ever get a chance to visit the USA, you would love the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA).

Skryfblok said...

There are only two things that would make me want to go to the United States. MoMA is one of them. The other is Yellow Stone Park.

Einstein's Brain said...

You would love New York City. In NYC there are MANY great museums, and a lot of them are close to each other near Central Park. Most of them are dedicated to the arts. There is a film museum, photography museum, lots of art museums, a design museum called The Cooper-Hewitt, and even the Museum of Sex. The theatre district is also great, with hundreds of theatres, art houses, and lounges.

http://www.nyc.com/search/find.aspx?secid=2&int1=354

Lindi said...

..Sanko....GC session upcoming...easy way to get a visa lets be there....:-)and see all these places...

Skryfblok said...

When is GC? I'm afraid it will probably clash with my planned trip to Europe.