Sunday 4 October 2009

Traditional Korean Food Market

The last weekend in September my department visited Hoengseong 횡성, the hometown of one of one of our co-workers. It happened to be on a market day. Korea's market days are traditionally every five days, which are known as 4/9 days. In other words, everyday in the month with either a "4" or a "9" in it; therefore on the 4th, 9th, 14th, 19th, 24th and 29th. These traditional markets are known for their variety in traditional foods. The foods are usually quite fresh, and also relatively cheap. Typically one can buy all kinds of fruits and vegetables at these markets. But then there are a whole array of other obscurities that just delights (or distresses) the senses.


The photo above shows a typical street in a traditional Korean food market. Note the fresh vegetables and other produce in buckets and crates displayed on canvasses on the side of the street. The colourful umbrellas are also typical.


Above you can see traditional sweets and snacks. Apart from these sweet snacks, there are also some savoury snacks, like the dried sardines shown below.

The main produce sold at these markets are vegetables and fruits. I forgot to take pictures of the fruits which are very impressive in size and quality. Below are pinenuts, beans, and other greens.



Red chilli pepers (above) are a main ingredient in most Korean dishes and can be bought in bulk either fresh or dried. Some wild fruits, such as the berries below, are also available at these food markets. Such wild berries will be very expensive to buy in the city, and difficult to find at normal grocery stores.


Below are fresh ginger root. Notice the richness in colour. The ginger one usually buy in shops are much darker, which is a sign that they are not as fresh as the beautiful specimens below. The picture below that shows fresh ginseng. A wet cloth is placed over the roots to keep them fresh.


But it is here where the "normal" foods stop and the weird foods start. Available at these markets are fresh fish . . . and fresh octopi . . . and fresh squid . . . and fresh baby shrimp.





Also available are fresh water snails.


You can even buy live crabs. The crabs are put in a bucket with saw dust to keep them comfortable while they await to be purchased.


Fancy grasshoppers for dinner? You can buy them here by the handfulls.


A famous Korean snack is chrysalides (below) -- yes, the pupa-phase when catapillars change into moths or butterflies. Sometimes one would walk in the streets and suddenly smell a very funky (in the bad sense of the word) odour, and there would stand an old "ajussi" (uncle) roasting chrysalides in a big basen and then selling it to the passerbys. In all my years in Korea I am yet to taste them and am very doubtful that I will ever garner the courage to try.

Not one for insects? How about boiled pig's ankles (below)?


Or something more familiar -- chicken . . . baby chickens BBQ'ed on an open fire. There were also developed chicken eggs steamed; unfortunately I failed to get a photo.

Shortly after our traditional market experience we all went to our co-worker's parent's house for dinner.

5 comments:

Korea_4_me said...

'Weird' is just a relative term.

Einstein's Brain said...

I love the street markets. I used to go to one often when I was in Namyangju. It took place on 2s and 7s, so different than the norm then. I liked taking advantage of the deals and walking around.
I find the live crabs, live eels, silkworm larvae, and the like to be disgusting. Yet, it reminds me that I am in a different culture and some people find those to be good. I wish I could find those mountain berries. I wonder if those are the same ones I have seen dried for tea.
There is a street market here in Guri that is here every day. It is quite large and has lots of stuff. There are lots of shops along the streets as well with clothes and food. It's very fun. I do recommend poking around here on a Sunday afternoon because it's not far from you.

Skryfblok said...

@Korea4Me

A very true observation. You may note that I put the word "normal" in quotation marks to indicate that it is a relative term. I think your observation, and my indication is complimentary.

It is strange how I see "normalcy" as something relative and you see "weirdness" as something relative. That must indicate something interesting about the ways we think. I'm intrigued...

@Christine

Yes, it is the same berries they use for that tea-drink. I forgot the name though.

Anonymous said...

I hate the smell of "pondegi" I tasted it once and not being the adventurous eater it was 'n big deal. It tastes just as bad as it smells.

I love hte markets for all the interesting and weird stuff you find there.

Lindi said...

Looks Yummy...:-) I was walking the other day to my house and I came across bunch peppers on the sidewalk...a bit suprised....but later I heared that thats the way to dry them up....mhmhmhm limited space.....I tasted some fried ginseng not that tasty for me....meat I am vegetarian but eveything looks exciting....thanks for posting the pics ....