Wednesday 7 October 2009

So, where do you fit in?


My brother sent me this article "In Search of a South African Identity," about classifications used in South Africa. So I thought I’d mull the issue over a bit, specifically with regards to South Africa, but also with my experience here in Korea.

It is true that in Korea we South Africans tend to be more united, regardless of our skin colour, ethnic-, or cultural backgrounds. We are all South Africans. When necessary we would refer to people as black South African, coloured South African, white South African, and Indian South African. We tend to stay clear of ethnic or cultural references like Xhoza, Venda, Afrikaner, and so on. At least that has been my experience.

Even though I am of European descent, I was born in Africa and so have my immediate ancestry. Apart from my paternal grandfather who was from Scotland, my other direct ancestors were all born in South Africa for numerous generations. I therefore, like most white South Africans, consider myself to be African. (The Afrikaans term would "Afrikaan.") Of course, some people would not agree with this claim, as I am not black. Nonetheless, for me there is no other “home.” I do not have a dual citizenship somewhere to fall back on. I’ve always been, for generations now, part of Africa. Nor is Africa exclusively black. There are a number of other ethnicities that make up this continent. Look for instance at the ethnicities in Morocco and Egypt, to name just these obvious ones – most of the people living there are not “black” either, yet they are just as much a part of Africa (and “African”) as the people from the Congo is.

My mother’s side of the family is Afrikaans – I am therefore an Afrikaner; which means that part of my cultural heritage is influenced by European cultures, mostly Dutch, French and German. The argument could be that since my culture is not purely African, I am not truly African. That claim falls flat when one considers the (black) African youth of today. Take for example the popular South African music style Kwaito. (You can listen to an example of Kwaito at YouTube.) This genre of music developed in South Africa amongst the black youths in the Gauteng (Soweto/Johannesburg) region, and although the sound is clearly “African,” it is not purely African. Kwaito includes American elements such as Hip Hop and Rap, and electronic dance music (House / Rave). If I am not African because there are European elements in my culture, then young black South Africans cannot be considered purely African either, because their own culture is tainted with American elements.

When a foreigner lives in another country – say, the United States – and decides to settle their, they can become part of that country. A Moroccan that relocates to the US can become a US citizen and will be accepted as an American. For a large part, such assimilation is also possible in South Africa. The same does not go for Korea. As a homogenous culture with only one prominent ethnicity, a foreigner can never truly become part of Korea. The word for foreigner in Korean is “Whee-guk-een” [외국인] – literally meaning outside-country-person. Since the Korean people are so homogenous, based purely on the fact that you (as a foreigner) look different, you will always be an outside-country-person. You can marry with a Korean, you can learn the language and become fluent, you can know the customs and etiquette; nevertheless, you will stay an outside-country-person, because you look like an outside-country-person. This goes not only for Occidentals, or Africans, but even for other Asians. Nonetheless, while back in South Africa after my first time in Korea, there were many a time that I really missed Korea. My Korean experience did not feel "completed;" hence, my return. Although complete assimilation into Korea is for all practical reasons impossible, it is possible to make a living in Korea and to form a social structure. The former is much easier than the latter.

Well now that I’ve established the fact that I’m African and can never be Korean, one would think that I’m certain about my culture. Honesty, I am really confused about where I fit in culturally. I am not Afrikaans enough, nor am I British enough. I am partially vegetarian, which in South Africa is an odd thing culture-wise; I don’t enjoy the national sports (am into martial arts instead); I’ve never been part of the Dutch-Reformed Church (the main denomination traditionally supported by Afrikaners); and grew up on a mixture of cultural inputs from Elvis Presley and Country Music to Classical to Duran Duran, from Chinese stir-fry to Greek cuisine, from American movies to British literature. Not to mention that I spent a great deal of my youth in "other worlds" inspired by Sci-Fi and fantasy-adventure novels. Also, I grew up with an “African” name, rather than a European name; I consider my Zulu nanny as one of my mothers, and spoke Sesotho when I was small; now I speak English and Afrikaans, with a dash of Korean.

And I think I suffer a bit from “Third Culture Kid” syndrome. How about you? Do you know where you fit in culturally?

5 comments:

Einstein's Brain said...

I feel that I don't have much for heritage. I only knew my mother, sister, and aunt well. Everyone else was either dead or not close to me relationshipwise.
My first hometown was an old Polish enclave. My mother's father's family came from Poland. I grew up hearing some Polka and I went to the church festivals where there was Polish food and dancing. I never got seriously into my Polish heritage because I didn't know my Polish family. My grandfather married a woman whose parents were from England, who was Protestant, and divorced. His family never approved and most had nothing to do with my mother's family. Those few good people who did bother with them had passed away before I was born.
My father left less than two weeks before I was two. I saw a few of my relatives from that side now and then. It was because they were Adventists and I would see them at Adventist functions. That part of the family was from the French-Canadian diaspora, when many Quebecois left Quebec because of crop failure. New England was also a lucrative place because of all the textile mills that sprang up during the Industrial Revolution. I had a conversation with my Aunt Marie at a retreat and she told me I was part Native American. I was 15 then, yet I had wondered if I was a bit mixed for many years. I never said anything. Apparently my father never told my mother that he was a little more than 1/4 Native. I know there is a Lake Huron out there, named for my tribe. I want to visit someday.
I don't feel that I have ever gotten saturated by mainstream American culture. I never played sports unless I was in P.E. class. I don't follow professional sports. Just today my co-worker was telling me about the Boston Red Sox and I could barely keep the conversation going. He knows more about the team than I do. I was raised vegetarian and never got into the fast food much. I went to church schools and that kept me out of the mainsream.
I guess my adult life has been a big search for culture. I liked going to Andrews because there were people from 100 countries there. I love travel because of all the things I can see and learn. I like the museums, shows, etc. because of the cultural significance.
I do wonder if I should ever return to the USA for good or not. I do feel that there is more of a need to help people in other countries. Africa and S.E. Asia need many helpers, and South/Central America would also be good since I studied Spanish for 6 years. I really don't feel many bonds with where I came from.

Lindi said...

wow....just a flag.....intrigued such an open answer.....so sad that the heavenly flag is not in the picture..Lol

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this honest post from your side. Your observation of Korea and Korean society is quite correct.

As with regards to identity, I would say you are a global citizen, to use the cliche.

But African? I think not. Although many white South Africans and Afrikaners view themselves as Africans, this is not the way that the governing party and many other South Africans view them. By way of the ludicrous emphasis on skin colour, white South Africans (actually I prefer the term "Euro-Africans) will never be considered as "true' Africans. When the South African Government and many other African interest groups refer to "Africans", be sure that they mean BLACK South Africans. This comes apparently true when you consider the differentiation that is made in our national sports teams between "persons of colour/non-whites" and Africans. Furthermore the fallacy of a white persons "Africaness" becomes clear when you move to the USA, where you would never be considered as an "African-American".

There is nothing wrong viewing yourself as African and it is even praiseworthy. Just remember that Africans will never view you as African. Thus the situation is not much different from your situation in Korea, or is it?

Skryfblok said...

Dear Boerinballingskap:

You wrote: "Thus the situation is not much different from your situation in Korea, or is it?" You are correct -- that is something I feel. I really do not fit into my "mother culture" (Afrikaner), and what is the English South African culture anyway? Nor can I ever truly become part of the Korean culture either.

This is part of "my postmodern issues with idenity," which I refer to in my blog-description. I went to Japan for a couple of days last December and visited Harajuku.

http://skryfblok.blogspot.com/2008/12/japan-second-day-part-3-harajuku.html

Standing there amongst those strange people, there was a moment of feeling "at home." Of course it, too, is an illusion. But in that moment I knew that my identity is an eclectic postmodern mix -- and I guess your description of me as a "global citizen" is probably most appropriate.

gerhard said...

I feel that the word "African" is currently being used to disposess white South Africans of a feeling that they belong in Africa, thereby also attempting to make any criticism of the black led government from them illegitimate.

The people who appropriate the word "African" in this way are up to no good, and they should be opposed.

Especially if you consider that many ANC leaders including presidents Mandela, Mbeki and Zuma, as well as the ANC negotiators of the agreements that led to the 1994 unity government have called Afrikaners Africans.
They should not be allowed to change their tune and go back on what was said and agreed.