Monday 8 March 2010

Planning a Birthday

[Image Source: Party Planner Ideas]

It is my birthday later this week. In celebration I’m thinking of having some friends over on Sunday afternoon for dinner. This, of course, brings with it certain challenges – who to invite? My apartment is not very big, so I cannot invite too many people. Should I invite colleagues? How about my fellow Taekwon-Do practitioners? And if I’m going to invite martial artists, why not include members of the Hapkido and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu clubs as well? Since I’m thinking of having the gathering on Sunday late afternoon (I already have another appointment on Saturday night) it sort of excludes friends whom live geographically distanced from me. My friends outside of Seoul are unlikely to make it. (If you are living outside of Seoul but think that you may be able to make it, let me know!)

It seems that I will have to have at least two gatherings. Maybe one for a handful of local friends (and colleagues) this Sunday and another one for the Taekwon-Do group the following Sunday. I’ve been meaning for us Taekwon-Doin to go ice-skating; my birthday could be a good excuse to make it happen.

Of course, according to Korean culture I’m doing it all wrong. In Korea one never celebrates a birthday after the event -- it should occur either before or on the actual day. My birthday is during the week, but I just don't have any time to do it during the week. To celebrate it on the following weekend(s) is unheard of according to Korean tradition. I guess I shouldn’t invite any Koreans then…

4 comments:

BoerinBallingskap said...

Hoe dit ookal sy, geniet dit!

Skryfblok said...

Dankie. Indien jy jouself Sondag in die omgewing bevind, laat weet gerus!

BoerinBallingskap said...

Sal ingelukkig nie daai kant wees Sondag nie, maar dankie.

NS: Die winter is met mening terug!

Skryfblok said...

Met mening terug en mooier as ooit!