Saturday 21 November 2009

Taekwon-Do friends @ Berlin



Last Saturday evening I went out with some members of my Taekwon-Do club here in Korea. (The reason I'm being so specific is because I have another Taekwon-Do club in South Africa.) We went to a café-lounge called Berlin. Anna, one of our club members and a 1st Dan black belt, is co-owner of Berlin, which is a really trendy lounge in Itaewon. I was very pleasantly surprised with the whole set-up: excellent décor, great ambience, and wonderful food.





I had a vegetarian Thai green curry and afterwards a delectable pudding called “Chocolate Volcano,” or something to that effect. It is a cake-based pudding filled with a hot chocolate sauce oozing out of the centre. Anna recommended it as “Fantastic!” and I have to concur.(Read a review of Berlin by Vegetarian in Korea.)


(This is not a Creative Commons image.)


The reason for our evening out was as both a farewell to Leslie, as well as in celebration of her receiving her black belt earlier that week. Leslie started doing Taekwon-Do a couple of years ago. A year ago she came to Korea as a red belt, when she joined our club, and now a year later she qualified for her black belt – just in time. Leslie is leaving Korea this coming week after working on a one-year contract at a public school. After visiting with family and friends in America she has her aim set for South America next, probably Brazil.



This is how I looked that evening. Leslie said I remind her of Wally (from “Where is Wally?”), especially since I had a red beanie on earlier the evening.



In all it was a really pleasant evening, even though few club members were able to come out with us, and irrespective of the weather that was quite chilly. Speaking of weather, last night I saw my first snow for the winter.

2 comments:

Einstein's Brain said...

That was a good time. I didn't know that it was her restaurant. When you said it was "Anna's Restaurant", I thought you were saying it was the name of the place. When we went to "The Berlin" I was a bit confused, but I figured you knew what you were doing.

Anonymous said...

Die plek klink aangenaam en ek sal dit bietjie gaan opsoek as ek weer in Seoul is.

Dog ek se ook net: Ek stem saam met Leslie. :)