Monday 20 September 2010

Chuseok

On Wednesday it will be Chuseok -- Korea's Thanksgiving Day during which people trek back to their home towns where they spend time with their family and bring honour to their ancestors. The days before and after Chuseok are also public holidays so that people can travel. The traffic during Chuseok is horrendous and public transport like busses and plains are often sold out weeks in advance.

For Chuseok I'm going to Jeju, the big island off the south of Korea. My intention is to go scuba diving but I came down with the flu. My first scuba dive is planned for Wednesday; I'm hoping that I will feel better by then. It is dangerous to dive when you're ill, since with congested sinuses one cannot properly equalize under water. So today I spent much of the day just sleeping and although I'm commencing my travels tonight, I will try to spend most of it resting. The same for tomorrow -- I'm hoping to spend as much time sleeping as possible.

I'll be sure to take photos and share them when I come back in about a week.

A happy Chuseok to everyone!

No comments: