Saturday 14 August 2010

(SA) Online Radio



Just over a year ago I visited the website of Vaal Community Radio (the local radio station for the Vaal Triangle, South Africa) and I nearly puked. The website was reminiscent of the very first sites dating 1996.

I'm glad to say that they have updated the website and now it looks like something from the year 2000. At least now the text is legible and they actually have a live streaming link.

For a list of some South African radio station that stream online, you can go here. The more famous South African stations are: 5 FM,  RSG (Afrikaans), Metro, Classic FM, 702 Talk Radio, SAFM. On occasion I also enjoy MK.

Speaking of listening to online music, I discovered this really cool site called Musicovery. It gives you four moods to choose from: energetic, dark, positive and calm (or anything in between). You can further refine your taste by unclicking certain genres.  It then comes up with a playlist of music to your taste. Some features (like forwarding, shuffling, and so on) you need to pay for, but if you just want to listen to some stuff that reflects your mood, Musicovery seems like an easy way to go about it and also getting exposed to some new artists.

2 comments:

Einstein's Brain said...

I loved the internet back in 1999. It was fun in some ways it isn't fun now. It was so novel back then. The backgrounds and images are so archaic now.
I remember listening to internet radio back in 2000 or so and I thought it was just sooooo cool to listen to radio stations in other countries. It's nothing now...

Skryfblok said...

That's very true. I don't think most people realise how much the Internet has changes over the last decade. A great group of Internet users today cannot remember I time without the Internet -- unlike us "older folk"!