Tuesday 17 August 2010

Andre Kim (1935-2010)

The iconic Korean fashion designer (who was also Michael Jackson's personal designer) passed away a couple days back.

Andre Kim was probably the first famous Korean I knew the name of. He was so unique, standing out like a martian amongst Scotsmen, that one could not help but take note of him. I cannot say that I liked his fashion much, but I did appreciate him. So few Koreans in this overly communal society dare stand out -- and standing out was something Andre Kim excelled at.

Read a good post on the contribution Andre Kim to Korea's slow acceptance of "different" people at Scribblings of the Metropolotician.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My mom told me that when she was working in a bakery in front of his atelier 30 years ago, he ordered 찹쌀떡 and donut. She just wrapped both breads on a same package that made him really angry and furious. Andre Kim(known as 김봉남 for young Koreans) showed his sensitivity even for 찹쌀떡.

(Finally I discovered how to write on your blog!)

Skryfblok said...

I'm glad you figured it out.

Yes, clearly he was a very sensitive person.