Thursday 17 June 2010

My Hapkido Future

Image from Wikipedia.Org

I find myself facing a hard decision. I’m contemplating not going to the Hapkido gym, where I’ve practiced since 2006, anymore. The reason is that I’m just not really growing anymore. At the moment I can learn more from books than from actually attending regular classes. The classes focus too much on things, for instance kicking, that I do not need to train in – I already have 15 years of kicking experience from doing Taekwon-Do. My purpose for taking up Hapkido was to learn the joint-manipulation techniques and the associated “circle”-principles. The gym I’m training at just doesn’t give me enough exposure to these things to make it worth the time, effort, and money anymore.

I’ve spoken to different people about it. My Taekwon-Do instructor says the problem is that my technique is too advanced so that the basics taught at these classes are not stimulating me anymore. Not trying to blow my own horn, but he is correct. I’m not really learning much anymore. He also added that the most martial art classes are geared for quantity (in members), not quality, and that this is inevitable due to the economic downturn across the globe, and also in Korea.The martial arts in Korea is big business, let none be fooled.

A Hapkido instructor told me what one of his instructors one’s told him: “If you want to continue learning, you need to travel.” The implication is that if you are not growing where you’re at, you may need to find another place where you can grow. He also mentioned something interesting. He said that my Hapkido experience had been somewhat reversed. Most people learn the martial arts by studying the techniques first and then extrapolating the underlying principles from these techniques as they become more settled in the martial art. On the other hand, because of my many years of martial art experience I learned the principles first, and then learned and understood the techniques based on the principles. For this reason I’m not satisfied with merely learning the simple techniques anymore. He is also correct. I believe that one correctly understood principle is more valuable than a hundred techniques. I’ve acquainted myself with much of the principles and now wish to practise these principles, but the current dojang does not really present me with opportunities to do so. He continued to say that in Hapkido, unlike many martial arts, once you have the principles down you should “find your own way.” This is something I’ve truly enjoyed about Hapkido – its freedom. However, this is what is putting me in a dilemma now. In order to find my own way I have to spread my wings and invest that time and energy somewhere else that will be more conducive to my growth.

Having to leave this gym is very hard for me. I’ve been there for four years now. It was the first gym I joined when I first came to Korea and I’ve grown quite fond of it and the Master there. I have developed a loyalty to the master and his gym. Unfortunately, if I stay, I will stifle my enjoyment of Hapkido and may end up quitting it altogether. Ironically, in order to save my practise of Hapkido I need to quit.

I’m still contemplating how I will continue practising Hapkido once I discontinue practissing at this gym, which will probably be at the end of this month.. For one, I’m considering private lessons with Hapkido instructors. Another option is to find other relatively higher level students and train with them. A third alternative is to start teaching Hapkido. The Taekwon-Do gym I’m at teaches a variety of martial arts and we augment our Taekwon-Do practise with Hapkido techniques. I could always include more formal Hapkido training to our curriculum. I know the gym owner will be open to the idea.

No comments: