Friday 18 June 2010

Bicycle

Some of my earliest memories are of me on my yellow and red tricycle. I then moved on to a little bicycle with some support wheels that was slightly bent which meant that they did not support me all the time. It was a Christmas or birthday gift. I remember racing down terrible gravel roads struggling to keep my balance. Learning to ride the bike is something I did by myself. Much of my childhood victories were solitary experiences.

I grew up with BMXs and later mountain bikes. I've never enjoyed racing bikes, finding it boring. I guess it is for this same reason that I enjoy to do parkour, but I strongly dislike jogging. Parkour, like mountain biking, presents you with interesting terrains and forces you to come up with creative on-the-spot solutions.

The guy in the video below proves me wrong. He deftly uses a racing bike like a mountain bike, combining the speed and smoothness of racing bikes with the dexterity and excitement of a mountain bike.



I've been contemplating getting a bicycle. I use public transport all the time. From my apartment I need to walk about ten to fifteen minutes to catch the bus. Getting a bike will greatly reduce that time. I also live at the foot of a mountain, so having a mountain bike may be great fun. Of course, it is quite unlikely that I will go mountain biking much. As it is my time is so finely sliced that I doubt such fancies of going mountain biking will come to much. Nonetheless, I still walk daily to the bus stop, so a bike may still come in handy -- at least to save some time, if not to provide some pleasure.

No comments: