Monday 31 August 2009

Cornish Pies

(Image Source: Unknown)

When I crave for something, especially when I crave for something unusual, something I do not typically eat, I know that my craving is not for the thing itself, but for a nutrient in it that my body requires.

Walking home from work today I suddenly got a craving for Cornish pie. I don’t think I’ve ever craved for Cornish pie before. The last time I had Cornish pie must have been many months ago, if not years. When I buy pies, I usually go for the vegetarian option, like spinach and cheese. If I were to buy a non-vegetarian pie, it would probably be chicken and mushroom. What is it that is so specific to Cornish pie that I should crave for it now? The main ingredient is beef mince – do I lack iron? If so why don’t I crave for beefsteak or a beef burger or mutton curry? It’s not a protein craving as I had a peanut butter sandwich during breakfast and I had two eggs with my vegetable stir fry during lunch.

Is it the pastry that I hunger after? Carbohydrates? It doesn’t make sense as I had rice during lunch . . .

Maybe I’m not craving after a nutrient at all, but rather after something Cornish pies remind me of. I remember often eating pies during high school. Why would I long for high school? I hated school.

And still the craving remains . . .


Here are two links for Corhish pie recipes; one with a beef mince filling, and the other with a mutton filling.

3 comments:

Einstein's Brain said...

I have tried vegetarian chicken pies before. They are good. I haven't had one in many years.
I am curious as to why you disliked school.

Skryfblok said...

It is a day later and I'm still craving for Cornish pie.

School... let's leave that for another post.

LadyBird said...

cornish pies rock!