Wednesday 2 June 2010

New Mayor of Seoul: Han Myeong Sook (Incorrect)

This post contains incorrect information. Read the update here.

A Korean friend just informed me that the new mayor of Seoul is Han Myeong Sook. I'm assuming this is the Ms Han whom was also prime minister during 2006 and 2007. She is part of the Democratic Party of Korea, which is politically centralist, slightly left leaning, and is the main opposition party to the current ruling party, the Grand National Party which is strongly right-wing. Han, was the first woman to be appointed prime minister in South Korea. In 2006 Forbes ranked her as 68th most powerful woman in the world. She stepped down from the position in 2007 to run for president but did not win the election. She is quite a dynamic woman and I'm sure will make an excellent mayor of Seoul, which is still quite a powerful position, albeit not Prime Minister.

My friend is so excited about the win that he told me he is on his way out to shout for joy in the streets.

For what it's worth, I prefer the Democratic Party's logo over the logo of the Grand National Party. The latter looks a bit like a water theme park sticker.



Needless to say, today was election day in Korea, which meant that I did not have to go to work. I got up late this morning, did some other work and in the afternoon went to my office to do some grading and preparation for classes tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday. Later, I went to see The Prince of Persia. In all, not a bad day.

No comments: