Monday 12 April 2010

Jamie Cullum Concert

The Jamie Cullum concert on Saturday night was excellent. Cullum is a master at the piano. Although his forte is jazz, he also showed off his ability at classical pieces and other genres; flowing from one to the other with absolute ease. He is also a great jazz singer; and also a great performer. The other band members are all experts at their respective instruments as well, making for an all round riveting performance.

I was planning to go see Bob Dylan at the end of last month, but things didn’t work out. Although I missed out on seeing this legend, I do think that I still would have enjoyed Jamie Cullum’s show better. While I do have a best of album of Dylan, I tend to listen to it far less than my two Cullum albums. (Actually, Cullum has three albums; I’m missing the second one.)

An interesting thing about the Cullum concert is that it actually started on time, at 7 pm. So by 9 pm it was finished, and after two encores, we were out of there by 9:30 pm. The concert itself was jam packed with Jamie Cullum’s entertaining antics, which included different mash ups of old and new songs, standing on the piano, playing sections with his butt and feet, jumping off of the piano, making impromptu songs with a sampling-machine, and generally just creating excellent music. I’ll definitely go see him again if ever I have the opportunity.

Throughout the show Jamie mispronounced “thank you” in Korean, saying “gamsahanida” 가사하니다 instead of “gamsahamnida” 감사합니다. Nonetheless the Korean crowd cheered him on for his efforts. That is one thing I do love about Korean culture – how they can cheer an individual on. That is a thing about a group-orientated culture that is quite impressive to experience; especially for me that is so very individually-minded.



The song "Twentysomething" used to be a theme song for me. It starts with the words: "After years of expensive education / A car full of books and anticipation / I'm an expert on Shakespeare and that's a hell of a lot / But the world don't need scholars as much as I thought."

No comments: