Monday 13 October 2008

Why am I an English Teacher?


Why am I an English teacher? Well it is hard to say exactly. While studying my first degree in Business Communication & Graphic Design I was forced to take a language minor as a freshmen. I chose Academic English.

I remember a specific moment when the lecturer said that here are no right or wrong answers. Any answer can be right, as long as you can motivate it. And suddenly I felt free. For the first time I was allowed to have an opinion. Not merely regurgitating what I was fed, but presenting my own ideas.

I continued with English. Took it in my second year. Took it in my third year. (Because of roster clashes I had to take evening classes.) And when I finished my Business Communication degree I did an honour’s degree in English. Then I went on to do my master’s degree in Creative Writing. I never did become a full time graphic designer. Rather, a teacher of English.

Why am I an English lecturer? I don’t know really. It just sort of happened.

Although I enjoy it, and although it has become part of my identity, it is merely one aspect of the many sides to me. I’m an English teacher yes, but I’m also a self-defence instructor, I’m also a martial artist, I’m also a writer, I’m also a philosopher, I’m also an artist, I’m also a musician (of sorts), I’m also an aspirant life coach, I’m also a theologian, I’m also a scholar, I’m also an armchair freedom of speech activist, I’m also a freelance graphic designer, I’m also a photographer, I'm also a poet, I’m also a...

Why am I an English teacher? Who says I’m an English teacher?

The image is from NNDB.Com.

6 comments:

Joa said...

:-) Hard to capture, but well said. You are also a friend and a brother and dearly loved and...

Skryfblok said...

Dankie.

Einstein's Brain said...

Very creative and gifted people have a variety of interests. It's just part of being born to explore, try out, and question things.
I remember my poetry teacher telling me that each writer leaves their personality in their works. It's like a literary fingerprint. We took poems from various poets and mixed them up. We were then to match each poem with another poem that the same poet wrote. We could do that by taking note of the poet's style.

Skryfblok said...

Christine, welcome back to Korea!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Mense vra gedurig vir my waarom het ek Korea toe gekom, en ek het eerlikwaar nie 'n straightforward antwoord nie, basies weet ek nie. Toe hoor ek van 역마살, 'n soort lot of "fate" waarmee jy gebore word - naaste vertaling in Duits / Engels "wanderlust". Beteken basies jy is "doomed" om nooit baie lank op een plek te wees nie, in Korea, met al die groepsgebondenheid en so aan is dit nie 'n goeie ding nie. Maar in elk geval het ek nou 'n antwoord op die vraag oor waarom ek na Korea toe gekom het. 역마살

Skryfblok said...

Hi Daleen,

Dankie vir die besoek by Skryfblok. 역마살 klink inderdaad na 'n goeie antwoord op daardie ongemaklike vraag.

Die rede dat ek in Korea opgeëindig het (miskien is "eindig" nie die regte woord nie, want ek is nie van plan om veraltyd hier te bly nie -- 역마살) het met my passie in die krygskunste te doen. Ek het Taekwon-Do reeds vir 12 jaar gedoen voordat ek die eerste keer Korea toe gekom het, en die krygskunste is steeds een van my hooftydverdrywe hier in die Ooste.