Saturday 5 February 2011

Eat, Pray, Family

My visit at the Taekwon-Do school in Pretoria went well. I spend some quality hours with my Taekwon-Do friends in Pretoria, before setting off in the afternoon to visit with my cousin Gavin and his wife Es.


We had the most wonderful dinner: Fresh bread with sundried tomatoes; feta and parmesan; olives; a mixed lentel salad, a fresh herb salad that included rocket, basil, dill, and freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon zest; big baked mushrooms topped with butter, garlic, chedder and parmasan -- a feast!

As is always the case when Gavin and I get together, we talk about religion. The two of us are both spiritual "seekers" of sorts. It is not that we do not know what we believe in, it is rather that we actively contemplate our worldviews and "share notes" when we get together. Es and I also have much in common, so it was nice for us, too, to "share notes".

I also got to spend some moments with Gavin's parents. I haven't seen them in many years, so it was a pleasant surprise to catch up with them. Gavin's mom gave me some photos of my parents from the 60's. My dad looked handsome and my mom was beautiful. "She was the most beautiful of the sisters;" said Gavin's mom, "we always said so."

Another aunt also came by, so they could see me. It was quite pleasant. Apparently they will have a family reunion next Saturday. I will probably still be in KwaZulu Natal then and will miss out on it, which is tragically disappointing as many of my uncles, aunts and cousins whom I haven't seen in many years will be there.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: