Thursday 12 March 2009

The Watchmen


I finished reading the acclaimed graphic novel series The Watchmen today. It was written by Alan Moore, illustrated by Dave Gibbons and coloured by John Higgins; and now also released as a film by Zack Snyder.

It is a rich multi-layered text and a prime example of postmodern literature. Two narratives are interwoven, with multiple plotlines running in tandem. There’re also a myriad of inter-textual references, many of which are allusions to apocalyptic Biblical texts. I was told by a friend that it requires at least five readings before one can fully understand it. I don’t believe that to be the case. It is a complex text, true; but it is not that complex – at least not for a literature major or an avid reader.

I plan to watch the movie tomorrow and will probably do a combined review of both the graphic novel and the film in one go when I have time.

No comments: