Saturday 21 March 2009

Movie Review: The Cross and the Switchblade

I just watched the classic The Cross and the Switchblade (1970), scripted from the book by the same name (1963), based on the first five years of preacher David Wilkerson and his work with the street gangs of New York City. Ps Wilkerson co-wrote the book with John and Elizabeth Sherrill – it became a best seller and is translated into over 30 languages.

The story recounts Ps Wilkerson’s outreach to the street kids in New York City, and how, through a period of personal interaction, demonstration of unconditional love, and preaching the Good News, even the most delinquent of the gang members came to give their hearts to God.

One such a kid was Nicky Cruz, born to a “Theistic Satanist” family who was abused physically and emotionally by his parents. After his conversion Cruz returned to school and ended up an evangelist himself. (This is not in the film.)

The film is definitely not one of the best I’ve seen as far as cinematography goes, and also the acting had me clinching at times. The funky (I mean that in the most literal sense) 70s soundtrack took much getting use to. However, I have to remind myself that the film is very much in line with other movies of the same period and evaluated thus, pretty much on par. It is the story, however, that keeps you stuck to your seat (or in my case my bed). The primary goal of a film about the Gospel changing the unchangeable is not cinematographic genius. It is about telling the story of God’s redemptive power; and that The Cross and the Switchblade pulls off quite dramatically.

The Cross and the Switchblade is a movie of hope. I can always do with more of that. How about you?

1 comment:

Einstein's Brain said...

I read that book a few months ago. I found it interesting how that pastor from the countryside went to New York City to help children in gangs. I do think it's great that he helped many kids to find Christ and get away from drugs and gangs. The ministry he started is still thriving today. I thought everything about the book was great, except towards the end when he started using a Holy Spirit baptism when people started talking in tongues. Tongues are only good when someone understands it, according to 1 Cor. 14. I do think his heart has been in the right place though, and God has worked through him.