Monday 20 July 2009

Some Random Notes on South Africa and Korea

South Africa

The sad state of the South African Broadcasting Company is hardly worth talking about. But what did get me upset is that the award winning program 50/50, the longest running program of its kind in the world, is off-air and who knows when it will be back.

On the political front some people foresee protests to peak because of poor municipal services, and apparently the fledgling party COPE, is experiencing extreme growing pains.

On a lighter South African note, it was Nelson Mandela’s 91st birthday last week and it looks like his birthday is something to be remembered as a national institution. On “Mandela Day” people do good deeds in memory of Madiba’s legacy. At first I thought this only to be a local (South African) thing, but my brother in Sweden informed me that they are celebrating Mandela Day over there as well.

As for South African entertainment, Thandiswa Mazwai’s new album is out and I cannot wait to get hold of it.





Korea

On the Korean front, South Korea has accepted a lawsuit by North Korean siblings suing their South Korean family for part of an inheritance. This is an interesting case, because the South Korean constitution does not discriminate against North Koreans. In other words, North Koreans can get automatic citizenship and therefore South Korean laws apply.

Also in the news is that North Korea’s tantrums paid off – “The United States and its negotiating partners are preparing a ‘comprehensive package’ of incentives to encourage North Korea to scrap its nuclear weapons…” [Read more...] Seems like the spoiled kid is going to get his way again.

1 comment:

Einstein's Brain said...

I read about Mandela's birthday. It's hard to believe he is 91 years old now. I think it's great that people decided to do good deeds on his birthday. It's nice to celebrate by thinking of others.
So you have a brother in Sweden? I haven't been there, yet I would like to visit Scandanavia someday. I hear it's great to live there, yet the taxes are sky-high. They do have many good services from it though.
I do wonder what will happen with North Korea. I read that Kim Jong-Il has pancreatic cancer and it doesn't look good for him.