Wednesday 4 March 2009

Phew!

What a day! I’m completely exhausted.

It started with a meeting at 8:30. At 9:00 I had the 19th Century Poetry class that I teach this semester. I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt like a fish in water (sorry for the clichéd idiom). I facilitated the class in drafting a definition for “poetry”, and discussed the three types of poetry (lyrical, epic and dramatic). Afterwards (10:00) I had a Language Skills class (Listening & Conversation). At 13:00 I taught British and American Essays. We also looked at the definition of “essays” – the term comes from the old French word “essaise”, which means “attempt”. And then I quickly introduced five types of essays that we will cover this term: descriptive, analytical, expository, persuasive and narrative.

From 14:00 to 17:30 I prepared for tomorrows poetry class. In order to contextualize 19th Century British Poetry (Romanticism), I’m going to give an overview of Western Art from the Classical Greek Period up until the Romantic Period (mid 19th Century). I think it is important for the students to have such an overview, to truly appreciate the Romantic Period and Romantic Poetry.

At 18:00 I left for Taekwon-Do (arrived just after 19:00). Then I trained until 20:30, where after I taught for another hour. Tonight was the first night that I taught at the dojang – I now have an official coaching time slot from 20:30 to 21:30 every Monday and Wednesday. I started out tonight with three high school students (16 year old twins, and a 15 year old).

And now I’m home and pooped. I only arrived home at 23:00. Unfortunately I cannot go to bed just yet. Since I spent most of the afternoon prepping for the Poetry Class, I didn’t prepare for the two other classes (British & American Essays and Research Methodology) that I’m teaching tomorrow. Luckily, tomorrow’s Research Methodology class is our first meeting, so we won’t be doing much; apart from a general overview of the course. Another fortunate thing is that my first class only start at 11:00 tomorrow, so I have plenty of time to prepare in the morning.

No comments: