Monday 27 December 2010

Andy Lau and Detective Dee

Last night I watched the highly entertaining detective / kung fu / fantasy film Detective Dee again. "An exiled detective is recruited to solve a series of mysterious deaths that threaten to delay the inauguration of Empress Wu" -- IMDB. Detective Dí Rénjié is played by famed Cantonese Pop singer and actor Andy Lau.



After watching his performance in this film again I was anew impressed by this veteran entertainer. The first time I saw him was in the kung fu-romance film House of Flying Daggers (2004) and then in Battle of Wits (2006), one of my favourite Asian films. Apart from acting (he has acted in almost 150 films), Andy Lau is also a producer and has produced 16 films including Crazy Stone (2006), which I plan to see soon, for which he was awarded Asian Filmmaker of the Year at the 2006 Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) in Korea. PIFF is the biggest film festival in Asia.

He is also a celebrated CantoPop singer and labelled one of Hong Kong's Four Heavenly Kings of Cantopop, alongside Jacky Cheung, Aaron Kwon and Leon Lai. Andy Lau released his first album in 1985 and is currently doing his Andy Lau: Unforgettable Concert 2010 tour. While I appreciate him as an entertainer, it is his films, rather than his music that I enjoy, mostly because I'm not much into pop music.

Looking at his picture above, would you believe that Andy Lau is almost 50 years old?! Like many Asians, he looks much younger than his actual age. I hope to have that body twenty years from now too. I guess I'll need to cut down on the ice cream. (I had some Häagen-Dazs ice cream again today.)

No comments: