Tuesday 12 May 2009

My Literary Archetype

Apparently my literary archetype is the "Messiah" (and its inverse, the "Punisher"). I don't often do these types of online quizzes, but since we covered myths and archetypes these last two weeks in my poetry class, I thought this Quizilla-quiz might be a fun activity for the students. I'm surprised at how accurate the result is though, as I can associate with much of it. Specifically the part that says "Messiahs often preach beliefs, [. . .] is automatically opposed to the evils in life . . ." Looking at some of my other blogs, and also my monthly update letter I sent to my Global Family, I realise that I do become a bit preachy at times, and that I often bemoan the evils in life. Also, as I child I idolised Luke Skywalker -- or at least, the idea of Luke Skywalker.
Osiris and Isis: The Messiah and the Punisher

You are the best friend anyone could ever have. The Messiah is a very good archetype to have; it can encompass almost every other archetype, and is both loved and hated in life. In times of pressure, you are the one who leads people down the right path. You are a born leader, and you only feel right when you are leading. In literature, this archetype is often connected to the Divine, and is often charged with an important task. In real life, Messiahs often preach beliefs, and lead people with these beliefs. He is automatically opposed to the evils in life, and often spends his life fighting them. Leaders of resistance movements are usually classified as Messiahs, and the people under them look up to them as near-gods. Your greatest and simplest motivation is to be a big part of something bigger and more important than yourself. Messiahs are often buffeted by the amount of pressure put on them, and are sometimes opposed to accepting the responsibility; but if you are truly a Messiah, you will accept any responsibility as long as it is for the benefit of your beliefs and the followers of those beliefs.

Messiahs probably have the most trouble in romantic relationships, but you should try to pair up with "The Mystic"; not for any strong reason, but this match is the most compatible. Messiahs usually help others to grow, not the other way around.

The Negative of the Messiah is the Punisher. Of the dark archetypes, the Punisher is one of the more benign types. The Punisher is the one who will push someone down just to teack them to get back up. To make a reference to The Chronicles of Riddick, the Furians (all Punishers) may try to strangle a newborn with its own umbilical cord-- if the baby can save itself, it deserves to live. Punishers pursue the same end as Messiahs, but with less compassionate means. Punisher don't care about the emotions of their followers. In fact, they try to break people's spirits, which makes them better followers.

A well known Messiah is Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) from Star Wars. He doesn't know his own importance, but in the end, everyone is following him.

No comments: