Friday 9 January 2009

Once in 13 Years

I haven’t gone to a general practitioner medical doctor in around 13 years. Sure, I’ve been to a dermatologist a couple of times during this period, but never to a doctor for any common (or uncommon) illness. I’ve proud myself in the fact that I never had to visit a doctor for anything other than my acne problem in over a decade. I live healthily and when I’m sick I doctor myself with mostly natural therapies and herbal teas and tinctures. It helps to have a homoeopath as a friend to get some occasional advice.

But my 13 or so year record is blemished. Earlier this week I went to my doctor here in Korea to replenish my skin medication. My flu symptoms came up; the doctor examined me and ended up giving me a four day course in antibiotics. Even though I really dislike using conventional medicine, I gave in because I’ll be going abroad in a couple of days and thought it better to put a hastened stop to this virus before travelling.

Now, instead of saying that I haven’t been to a doctor (for anything but my skin condition) in over a decade, I’ll have to say that I’ve been to a doctor only once in over a decade.

1 comment:

Einstein's Brain said...

Have a safe trip to SA and I hope you have a good time with your friends and family.