Monday 6 January 2014

My Romantic Life

Me: "How about lunch on Sunday, and afterwards we go to a museum or a bookshop or a place with excellent hot chocolate, or all of the above?"
She: "Wow, Sunday sounds gorgeous. I am a little hesitant though. It sounds romantic, and romance is not my intention at the time. I'd really like to get to know you better by spending time with you without expectations. So if you're up for that Sunday afternoon sounds great."

My first reaction to her reply was slight disappointment, wondering if I've just been put into the friend zone, but then it dawned on me -- I think I have just received one of the greatest compliments ever.

Me being very at home in a bookstore in South Africa, 2008
The things I proposed for Sunday afternoon such as having a good lunch, going to a bookstore, visiting a museum, and finding excellent hot chocolate are quite regular things I enjoy doing in my free time. To this list I could have added going to the theater, but I didn't think we would be able to fit that into a Sunday afternoon as well; however, it was one of the options I considered, had we met on Saturday night instead.

I was quite pleasantly surprised when I discovered that my every day life, the normal regular things I enjoy doing, is considered romantic. I never thought of my lifestyle as being particularly romantic, but I quite happily accept the compliment. Who wants a boring ol' regular life if you can have a romantic life instead?

Let's raise our (non-alcoholic) glasses to doing the things we love. Cheers!

No comments: