Monday 6 April 2009

Sports Day(s)


Last week we had Sports Day at the university I work. It ought to be called Sports Days, as it occurred over two days, but such semantics are not too important in Korea. During Sports Day the different departments compete against each other in various events, such as soccer, basketball, marathon, relay, tug-of-war, foot volleyball, and probably a couple of other events I did not see. The students from sport science department do not compete, as they have an obvious advantage; instead they act as the umpires and referees.

Another aspect of Sports Day is the competing "Cheerleaders" from the different departments. They dress up in these matador-type costumes, and perform difficult choreographed routines for which they have been training since the semester began. Here in Korea cheerleading is done by both men and women. I was surprised at the high level of sexual innuendo seeping through in the routines; not to mention the very short skirts.

Lecturers are expected to support their departments, so I spent some time sitting with my students, looking at all the dancing and other events. The one afternoon, however, I told my third year class I'll be in my office to review their second drafts of essays they had to hand in by the end of the week. I sat in my office the whole afternoon, but only four students made use of the opportunity. They will, of course, benefit.

No comments: