Thursday 27 June 2013

A List of Emotions

Image Source
Over the last year I have been feeling many emotions. Something that particularly frustrated me about my feelings were my inability to describe them. I knew I felt things, but I just couldn’t put them into words. This is quite ironic, as I am, after all, a man of words—having degrees in literature and creative writing, and being a lecturer of English Literature. Nonetheless, I found myself struggling for words as I tried to explain my feelings. Apparently, this is particularly common among men. Hence I decided that it is prudent that I improve my lexis of emotion adverbs, so I started by aggregating the list below. If you have an adverb which you think definitely have to be on this list and which fits the pattern “I feel . . .”, please leave it in the comments. There is one particular emotion which I have been feeling and for which I am yet to find a descriptive. What is the word for when you feel both happy and sad at the same time? One person suggested “emotional” since I’m experiencing multiple emotions, but that just seem a bit like a cop-out to me. For the time being I have settled for “conflicted,” but I don’t think that is describing what I’m feeling exactly enough—there must be a more exact word for when one feels both happy and sad.

(An Incomplete) List of Emotion Adverbs: I feel . . .

Abandoned
Absorbed
Adoration
Afraid
Agitated
Aggravated
Alarmed
Alienated
Alone
Amazed
Ambivalent
Amused
Angry
Angst
Anguished
Annoyed
Anticipating
Anxious
Appreciated
Appreciation
Apprehensive
Aroused
Ashamed
Anticipation
Attraction
Awed
Awful
Awkward
Baffled
Beguiled
Bemused
Benevolent
Bitter
Bored
Bothered
Brave
Calm
Caring
Cautious
Cheerful
Choked-up
Comfortable
Compassionate
Concern
Confident
Conflicted
Confused
Contempt
Content
Curious
Cynical
Defeated
Delighted
Depressed
Deprived
Disappointed
Disdain
Disgraced
Disgusted
Disillusioned
Disliked
Dismayed
Disoriented
Disrespected
Distrusting
Disturbed
Dreading
Dreadful
Eager
Ecstatic
Elated
Emasculated
Embarrassed
Empty
Emulation
Engrossed
Entertained
Enthusiastic
Envious
Exasperated
Excited
Exhausted
Exhilarated
Exuberant
Failure (like a)
Faithful
Fanatical
Fearful
Flattered
Fondness
Frustrated
Grief-stricken
Grumpy
Guilty
Happy
Hateful
Helpless
Hesitant
Hopeful
Hopeless
Horrified
Hostile
Humiliated
Hurt
Indifferent
Indignation
Infatuated
Inferior
Insecure
Insulted
Interested
Intrigued
Irked
Irritated
Isolated
Jealous
Joyful
Liking
Lonely
Lonesome
Love
Loved
Lust
Melancholy
Misunderstood
Neglected
Nervous
Numb
Nurtured
Optimistic
Outraged
Overwhelmed
Panicked
Patriotic
Passionate
Pity
Pitiful
Pleased
Powerless
Preoccupied
Proud
Rageful
Receptive
Regretful
Rejected
Relaxed
Relieved
Remorse
Resentful
Respected
Restless
Revulsion
Sad
Safe
Satisfied
Scared
Scornful
Self-confident
Self-conscious
Shamed
Shameless
Shocked
Sorrow
Spiteful
Starstruck
Stressed
Strong
Stumped
Stunned
Suicidal
Suspicious
Sympathy
Teary
Tender
Tenderness
Trepidation
Trust
Trusting
Unappreciated
Unashamed
Uncertain
Uncomfortable
Undervalued
Valued
Vengeful
Violated
Weak
Weary
Worried
Wrathful
Yearning
Zealous
Zestful

No comments: