Saturday 25 February 2012

Scones Recipes

Since I just came back from my holiday in South Africa I have little ingredients in my house; no milk, no eggs, no bread -- basically nothing that's not in a tin or a sealed bag. What I do have is a bag of flour, salt, baking powder, and a tin of coconut milk. So I decided to make some vegan scones.

Vegan Scones
25 Minute Vegan Scones Recipe:

Makes about 6-8 vegan scones.

Sift two cups of (whole wheat) flower together with a quarter teaspoon salt and a teaspoon baking powder. Mix a three quarter cup of coconut milk and a quarter cup of luke warm water. Fold the liquid into the dry ingredients, and finally knead just enough to ensure all the dry ingredients have been worked into the dough. Break into equal parts, roll them into balls and place into a greased scones pan. Drizzle a few drops of oil on the top of each ball and rub over the surface. Put the pan into a preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes at about 250 degrees Celsius.

If you do not have coconut milk, you can experiment with a good oil instead: try a third cup oil, with two thirds water. I don't know if it will come out equally as well, but intuitively I think it will get the job done.

The following non-vegan recipe is the one that I used as my template from which I developed the one above.

12 Minute Scones Recipe:

Makes about 10-12 scones.

Sift 500 ml cake flour with 15 ml baking powder and 3 ml salt into a bowl. In a 250 ml measuring cup, add 60 ml oil, add an egg and about 125 ml milk (or just enough to reach the 250 ml mark) and mix it all together. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix together. Divide into balls and place in a greased scones pan. Put the pan in a preheated over and bake at 220 degree Celsius for about 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown on top.

This recipe has quite exact measurements -- a little to exact for my liking -- but it is a well tested recipe that doesn't disappoint.

No comments: