Wednesday 29 September 2010

Girls' Generation, Prostitutes and Pygmalian



This music video of Girls' Generation reminds me of the first time I ventured into a red light district in Korea. It was during my first few months in Korea. I was in the Yongsan area -- I went to the digital market to get some computer gadgets. I decided to take a short cut down one alley on my way to another subway line. I didn't really take much notice of the mannequins in the windows. Then suddenly, from the corner of my eye I noticed that the mannequins moved. It nearly freaked me out, but I soon realised that these were not well dressed mannequins displaying boutique clothes, but in fact prostitutes displaying another type of merchandise. I remember being shocked at how beautiful these model-like women were; hence me originally assuming them to be mannequins. I've seen some beautiful mannequins in my life and can sympathise with Pygmalion. I've often wondered who sculpts clothing store mannequins and if they are cast from real models.

3 comments:

kissmykimchi said...

I think I've seen the most life lie mannequins here in Korea more than anywhere else.

Some of them are so lifelike that's its down right spooky.

Skryfblok said...

Indeed.

Did you ever see that episode of Dr Who where the mannequins start killing people over Christmas? Scary . . .

Einstein's Brain said...

I also ventured into Yongsan's Red Light District. I went down an alley with many doorways. Each doorway had a folding chair set in front of it. Each one was empty except one, where a woman in a bustier and fishnet tights was sitting. She had a bewildered look on her face when she saw me. I quickly turned around and walked away.
I am now remembering the luncheon we had with our friends last month, our friend M said she is a bit afraid of mannequins. I also think they can be a bit freaky sometimes.