Sunday 21 February 2010

Enter the Ninja, Bobby van Jaarsveld and other South African explosions

During my recent visit in South Africa I found myself in the middle of a number of new cultural phenomena sweeping the nation. The most disturbing of these were the new band Die Antwoord ("The Answer"). This Hip Hop band is the latest greatest fad among teenagers since the somewhat more interesting, albeit more existentialist Fokofpolisiekar. (To be honest, it seems that calling Fokofpolisiekar a "fad" is a misnomer. They have some really good lyrics and have established themselves as serious social commentators.)

Back to Die Antwoord and their song "Enter the Ninja". When was the last time you saw something this disturbing? I’m still trying to figure out what disturbs me the most. Is it the terrible English pronunciation with the heavy Afrikaans accent? [I'm a lecturer in English, after all.] Or the flashes of someone with Hutchinson–Gilford progeria syndrome (“aging disease”) with his Hip-Hop culture mannerisms? The white trash exhibitionism and the lead-singer's shaven chest? The peculiar black and white drawings? Or the strange Yo-Landi Vi$$er in her school uniform singing: “Ayaya, I am your butterfly / I need your protection / so be my samurai"! 



(Ek stem saam met Boer-in-Ballingskap.)

What Die Antwoord is trying to achieve I don't know. I do know that they've identified a market and will be making lots of money spewing out hardcore white trash (or "zef") sentiments. They are clearly serious business people judging from their professional website. Sorry kiddies, this, like Marilyn Manson, is all an act. Let's hope, that like Marilyn Manson, the music quality improves with time.

Knowing that I like to stay abreast with trends, a friend suggested I look into Jack Parrow -- an Afrikaans rapper. Below is a Parrow song: "Cooler as Ekke" ("Cooler than Me").



I'm not much into Hip-Hop, and if the lyrics are lacking in substance I'm not going to waste my time listening to it. The last proper South African Hip Hop band I listened to was Brasse Vannie Kaap.



Unfortunately, after the death of Mr. Fat (Ashley Titus) and thus the end of the Brasse, I think it will be some time before we can expect intelligent Rap again.

While such "alternative" musicians like Die Antwoord and Jack Parrow are having the sub-cultures buzzing, on the magazine pages another singer is stealing the hearts of young girls and old "tannies" (aunties). This blond, green-eyed, honey tanned boy is riding the waves of popularity.



Afrikaans pop music is flourishing. I heard Gerhard Steyn's "Baby Tjoklits" a couple of times even though I did not spent time listening to the local radio stations. I must have heard it when visiting people or in stores.



I really hoped that I would get to know about a new Afrikaans band worth listening to, like last year when I discovered Wasserfall.



I wasn't so lucky.

I was, however, able to get the album "Ibokwe" by Xhoza singer Thandiswa Mazwai that I wanted.

3 comments:

BoerinBallingskap said...

Ek dink jy so Die Antwoord baie goed op: "white trash exhibitionism". Hoe minder oor hulle gese word, hoe beter.

Die ligte Afrikaanse pop, is ook maar 'n refleksie van die volk se smaak. Mens vind dit maar orals. Soos jy weet, is so baie van die spookasem-pop hier in Korea ook maar bitter oppervlakkig.

NS: Hou ook van Wasserfall.

Skryfblok said...

Boer,

Ek hou van jou beskrywing van hierdie tipe leë popmusiek as "spookasem-pop".

Ons moet tog bietjie by mekaar uitkom en (Afrikaanse) musiekidees uitruil.

BoerinBallingskap said...

Ek stem! Ek beplan om gedurende Maart of dalk April 'n draai in Seoul te gooi en sal jou laat weet.