Wednesday 10 February 2010

Be Free

[Image Source: SkinSpot.co.uk]

A few years back (I think it was in 2004 or 2005) I attended a course in natural health. The name of the hosting clinic is Be Free. The premise is really simple – rid the body of all toxins and then boost it with the most nutritious diet and health promoting habits. Sickness, it is believed, is the result of the body’s inability to cope with a burden of toxins and non-health promoting habits (for instance not sleeping enough). However, if you can assist the body by getting rid of the toxins that taxes the system, and then provide it with its nutritional and other needs, the body is able to heal itself of almost everything.

The success stories are remarkable. Often health style sicknesses like diabetes are reversed completely using this natural system. Be Free is also quite successful with rehabilitating drug drug abusers because it makes use of many and highly effective detoxification methods. This helps to shorten the withdrawal symptoms dramatically, making the transition from addiction to sobriety much easier.

During my visit to the Cape I was able to visit Be Free again. Although I’ve only spent a couple of weeks there for the duration of the course, the coaches still remember me well. While visiting the clinic I was thinking that when I decide to return to South Africa in a couple of years and I do not have a job lined up for me, that I might volunteer at Be Free. The pay is very little (they get no governmental funding), but one can survive (lodging is provided). I’ve always had an interest in natural health therapies and staying there for a year or so could be a good way to transition back into South Africa – doing something I enjoy, and gaining valuable experience in a field of interest.

One of my many dreams is to one day start a similar clinic that can provide affordable natural therapies and training for people in need. I’ve been to government run hospitals in South Africa a couple of times and have seen the lines and lines of people waiting hours upon hours for help. Often these people suffer from simple ailments, many of which can be treated with alternative natural remedies. Such a natural health clinic could possibly educated people in such natural remedies so that they need not clog up the hospital lines for the serious cases or emergencies.

Who is to say what the future will hold? After a couple of years in Korea I might just go to Greece!

3 comments:

Einstein's Brain said...

It's nice that South Africa has one of those church-run health facilities that emphasise natural healing. I do know of a number of them in the US that I did consider going to. Weimar in California would have been my first pick (someone from my orientation group with SDALI is there now). Yet, I can learn those things here now. Norway also has one as well, and someone I knew went there and liked it.
It is true that many natural treatments work better than conventional ones. It's sad that mainstream hospitals ignore those things. Water treatments, charcoal, and herbs can do wonders. Detox, if done right, can save people's lives.
Of course, if natural treatments were prescribed, the pharmaceutical companies wouldn't be making their millions.
I remember you saying last year that you wanted to open a health clinic. Think about it and pray about it. If it's something you want to pursue, then go for it. Sister White said that the medical ministry is the right hand of the gospel.

Skryfblok said...

The thing with conventional medicine is that it often treats the symptoms quite fast. People with a sprained ankle will rather pop some pain-killer drugs, than do water treatment. The drugs give instant relief, but it does not treat the cause -- only the symptoms.

A natural health clinic is a future possibility, but not something I wish to do just yet. I'm still happy with what I'm doing at present.

Einstein's Brain said...

Yes, both conventional and natural medicines have their good points.
It depends on the situation on which is better. When I had shingles a few years back, I went straight to the doctor and got on antivirals. I didn't want to mess around with that. I also took Percocet to get out of my agony. I did refuse to refill the prescription when I was finished since I didn't want to get addicted.
I know you want to stick around Korea for a while because you like it. You do have a nice job and lots of nice friends. I do wish you the best of luck whenever you do choose to leave this place.