Wednesday 30 December 2009

Why the Exhibitionism?

Since I've recently posted some provocative self-portraits again, I think it is appropriate that I remind some of my old readers, and inform some of the new ones, about the reason for my exhibitionism . . . uhm . . . self-portraits.

Lest my self-portraits, which I post here on this blog, seem like gross vanity allow me to explain. I like taking artistic photos . . . and enjoy doing portraits and artistic renditions of the human body. Unfortunately most people feel shy about being the subject for photography and since I'm not a fulltime photographer I'm not planning to hire a model anytime soon . . . [Therefore] I take photos of the only willing human subject I have easy access to -- myself.

To me it is all about an artistic play with light and shadow, colour and composition. And as an artist, I like to walk that tightrope of provocation . . . And I feel it is complimentary to this blog. I try to be really honest and frank about myself. I'm practising the art of self-revealing; it is not always easy, but if I want to be a true artist, I believe that is what is required of me. But of course there is only so much my audience can learn about me. Art, be it in word or in image, is always just a representation of the real, it is never the real itself.

No comments: