Sunday 12 April 2009

Gyeongpo: Vinyl House

Just one of many "vinyl houses" (aka greenhouses) one can see at Gyeonpo, and all over Korea for that matter. The Konglish term "vinyl house" refers to the plastic (i.e. vinyl) exterior used for these agricultural tunnels. It is likely that the Koreans use this more literal description, instead of "greenhouse", because the latter might be confused with the Blue House, which is the presidential residence, similar to USA's White House or South Africa's Tuynhuys ("Garden House"). The common term is the same for blue and green in Korean, and therefore the possibility that greenhouse could be mistaken for Blue House.

4 comments:

Einstein's Brain said...

I have never heard of that place you went to. It seems you had a nice get-away. I was in the crowds for the cherry blossoms.

When in college I went to a lecture by Kathleen Spivack, who was in a writer's workshop with Robert Lowell as professor and had Anne Sexton and Sylvia Plath as classmates. What a privilege. She affirmed that Plath was very intelligent. She said Anne Sexton did her poetry readings with music. Someone asked Spivack what the worst thing about the suicides of Sexton and Plath were for her. She said "I never got to see them develop into mature writers".

Einstein's Brain said...

I read a rew books about intellectual giftedness. It was very enlightening. I blogged about it in my other blog: http://bibliophilic-polymath.blogspot.com

Einstein's Brain said...

OK, that was poor grammar. I was thinking about one book and I remembered I blogged about two.

Lindi said...

"crops with attitude" thats the title of the article i just read from the newsweek today. Subtitle" poor nations are now starting to shake off the old" FRANKENFOOD" taboo.

I quote" Gradually, though a shift in attituted, consumer habits and trade practices has been wearing away at the barrier. Significantly, developing countries are leading the way......."

Well I am glad that inspite of the limited land in korea they are able to keep up with greenhouse