Sunday 21 September 2008

Expatic confucian

I’m not sure how I’m supposed to react as an expat, upon hearing the news that my president (Yes, my president; I refuse the cop-out used by many white South Africans proclaiming that “hy is nie my president nie!”) in my country far far away (almost like in a fairytale) has been forced to step down before the end of his term. Clearly this causes great political strain on the country, and much stress for the citizens. But what should I feel, a South African citizen far removed from the day-to-day in the tip of Africa? As a responsible citizen of my country (is that what I am?), should I be overly concerned? Or should I thank my stars (not that I believe in them) that I’m geographically exempted from the political unrest those feel that are living there, there where the rubber-meets-the-road. And this in a country where that rubber (tyres) have a horrific significance.

The photo is by the Associated Press, as hosted by Yahoo! News.

1 comment:

Joa said...

Bly om te sien jy bly op hoogte!