Friday 19 September 2008

A Concert in Context

Who should I give the other ticket to?

Just before Chuseok I wrote about all the gifts I’ve received from my employer (i.e. the university I'm working at). I forgot to mention the soy foods hamper (vegetarian meats, soy drinks, etc.) and two tickets to a classical and opera concert.

The concert was last night in the newly remodeled campus auditorium. Now it is not anyone that you can invite to a classical and opera concert. Few people enjoy classical music, and it is not like I have a pantheon of friends here in Korea to choose from.

And then I thought of Mark Ma, the young chap I taught long ago, whom I affectionately refer to as “boy genius”. He finished high school early and went of to study aero-space engineering and other stuff at the most prestigious university in Korea, Seoul National University. I cannot quite recall exactly how we became friends. Mark is a decade my junior and he quickly assumed the “younger brother” role. In Korea, it is expected of the older person in the relationship to provide for the younger one. For instance, the senior would pay for the meal at a restaurant. Mark made me pay for the ice cream we used to eat together, and I didn’t mind. His invitation for me to participate in this cultural custom made me feel part of his world – instead of feeling like the outsider, which one normally feel as a foreigner.

The reason I thought of Mark was because he played second violin in his university’s orchestra and he once invited me to a performance, but unfortunately I was already back in South Africa at the time. Who better to invite to a classical music concert than a classical musician?

So, last week I phoned him. He immediately recognized my voice and this after more than a year, which was a pleasant surprise. And that is how it happened that we enjoyed the concert together.


The concert again affirmed my belief that Koreans are exceptionally talented. The program included La forza del destino (G. Verdi), Vissi d’arte, vissi d’amore (G. Puccini), Diciten cello vuie (R. Falvo), Time to say goodbye (F. Sartori), Ebben? n’andró lontana (A. Catalani), Musica Proibata (S. Gastaldon), Brindisi (G. Verdi) and O Sole mio (E. Capua).

There was also a wonderful series of pansori (traditional Korean opera) performances, by singer Jang Sa Ik. [Here are two links to MP3 songs by Jang Sa Ik: 1, 2.] Jang Sa Ik is considered a sori-ggoon. ("Goonn" means an expert in a certain field.) I’ve come to be quite fond of pansori, as it is very emotional and although I cannot understand what is sung, I can still feel the emotions conveyed.

Apparently the lady that was the master of ceremonies is a famous television channel (MBC) anchor. Her name is Seo Hyeon Jin. Inferring from Mark, it sounds as if she is expensive to hire. Mark hinted that the university must have lots of funds. I’m coming to that same conclusion.

Great music. Seeing friends you haven’t seen in a long time. A lovely way to end off a day!

The photo in this post is not a Creative Commons image.

No comments: