Tuesday 16 September 2008

Apgujeong Architecture

While studying History of Art, architecture did not interest me much. But in the last couple of years this has changed dramatically. I suppose it was because I took architecture for granted. Upon my first Korea experience one of the things that seriously irritated me was the blunt and boring architecture. Everywhere one sees these creative-less slabs of rectangular ugliness. It was probably then that I started to appreciate architecture more.

So in the past two or so years I’ve started to take note. Look at lines and curves. Value shadows and reflections. Appreciate diversity and design. Following are some beautiful buildings I came across over the past weekend – all of them from the Apgujeong area.




This last building with its babelian curves is actually still under construction. I look forward to its completion. At the institute where I worked before, I used to look out of my classroom window onto the cranes on the horizon that were busy with the construction of this building. It was a nice surprise to return now and see what a beautiful construction they were busy with all that time.

No comments: